Established 2010

Established 2010

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Friends

Writing this a long time after I intended to, it is going to be tainted by subsequent events.

The sort of sea that looks flattish but we now know isn't going to be.  The lost buoy had re positioned itself into the centre so there was a proposal for a PB attempt of a circuit of the buoys but Ollie suggested some alternate speed/easy sections between the buoys, 'Use what you've got', he said - or, as Hildi called it, 'Swimmer's fartlek'.

Ollie, Alex and Sarah all in - Hildi taking longer as been wimping out in warmer climes - but it was 17.5 or 18 degrees so not cold.  Out to the buoys for the speed work and practice with waves.  Then we spotted Mr Chapman (really sorry but his name has escaped me) getting in in his wetsuit so we headed in for some widths and to support/coach him.  Joan on an appreciated life guard duty.

Lots of fun really and about 45 mins swimming.

While I was swimming, I was thinking - why did we all come in to be with Andy (that's it - knew I'd remember!)?  Because sea swimmers, and to a certain extent, triathletes, know we rely on each other.  Later that morning - while I was still draining sea water out of my ears and before I'd got properly dressed - I got the call every spouse of a cyclist dreads - my husband had been hit by a car.

Horrible day but he's going to be OK eventually and everyone has rallied round.  Those times when you help someone else out by staying with them in the rough water, or you do their wetsuit up, or you lifeguard for them or you show them a new bike route, all those things, all those times you are a friend - they come back to you.




Hildi

No comments:

Post a Comment