Established 2010

Established 2010

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Hot water bottles and balmy seas

I knew it was going to be a tough swim when, setting foot onto the beach, the stones did not scatter under foot, instead remaining frozen solid like slabs of rock. Joan and Sara were already on the beach preparing for their swim with the aid of hot water bottles. We began with some discussion about sea and air temperatures, the consensus being that the sea would seem to be quite "balmy" at a mighty 7C. In keeping with tradition, Joan was first in, followed by Sara and then myself. Sara suggested swimming a width between the groynes and then back to base. Gingerly I agreed, although on this morning the cold got to my exposed fingers so I had to abandon that. Sara went on to complete the course, Joan following, with myself heading out of the sea first, looking for any source of heat that might be available. Fortunately Joan had brought a bottle of hot water with her, and this was the most welcome respite. These unseasonal conditions continue ... but so does the SSF group. Just.

Time: In 7:40, Out 7:51.
Swimmers: Sara, Joan and Paul C

(written by Paul)

No comments:

Post a Comment