Established 2010

Established 2010

Wednesday 26 October 2011

Kids play

I approached the beach running from the East.  I had had a little jaunt to Ovingdean and back before the swim to fit in my fartlek run this week.  As I approached at about 7:15, the sun was slowly coming up and I saw a shadowy figure heading on to the beach, turning, looking up and then walking back off the beach.  I was confident enough to hazard guess that the new autumn/winter collection of swimmers had retreated from the groyne up to the shelter of the cafe since we had had major rain and wind through the night.  Spots of rain had fallen during my run too, so fair enough.  I raced back to the car, grabbed my stuff and headed back to join them. 

Once under the shelter I noticed it was windy-er there than on the beach!  but hey-ho, at least if it rained my work clothes wouldn't get soaked.  We quickly de-robed, and headed out on the 1 min hobble over the stones to the sea.  The wind was fairly strong, it felt ok though as I was warm from the run, but the sea had been whipped up to a constant white water mush, wave after wave rolling in.  No chance of a text-book swim this morning, we decided on a route...Out and Back...harder than it sounded.

Joan was first in, making a dash from 20m from the sea, as we reached the water’s edge she was already shoulders under being blasted by the smaller breakers.  Then I skipped in, lifting my legs over each wave as far as I could, until it reached thigh height and I couldn't run/jump any more, then I took a dive in, under the first roller.  All that warmth of the run quickly leaving my body.  Surfaced, took a gulp of air, then it was time to dive under again.  Up again, noticed goggles knocked and leaking water, I quickly repositioned them and then it was time to dive again.  Relentless waves that had broken some way out.  After some quick strokes in between waves I had made it out to tip toes depth and turned to see where the others were.  Pete, was next, front crawling between waves and keeping his head down.  He made quick progress to join me, his suit giving him an injection of pace.  Further back Paul, Hildi and Sara were in and swimming out…where was our life saver on a day like today?  Stefan??

After noticing quite a rip towards the  East groyne we stayed beach central or a little to the west and played in the surf.   To be honest, there wasn’t much swimming going on, just loads of wave diving, body surfing and getting dragged this way and that.  It was so much fun.  We all recollected times of being 10 yrs old and none of us wanted to get out!  To top it off, the sky had gone an amazing pink colour beyond the lower clouds and watching it for five minutes we saw it turn orange and then eventually a blue-ish colour marking the end of the sun rise.  Absolutely gorgeous.

Pete tried to swim but reported back to the group about being completely death-rolled as he traversed the beach.  A few minutes later he was off again though, leading the charge I would say until we lost sight of him.  During the quick 5 secs here and there where we were abve the water, we glanced around but couldn’t see him.  After we became a little worried Sara finally spotted him.  He was on the beach shedding his wetsuit!!  Wetsuitless,  he quickly headed back in the surf more comfortable in only his “well travelled” tri-suit.  I finally caught up with him only to find a huge hunk of seaweed emerging from his suit like a chest wig…fantastic, if only I had a camera.

Eventually succumbing to the time of day, we all emerged from the water and trudged up the beach, completely exhilarated and wanting more.  Tucked into Heston’s mince pies, showed off our finest brighton gay pants and all shivered our way towards fully clothed before heading back to the carpark.  I could have titled this one “as much fun as you can have in the sea”, but “kids play” seemed even better. Roll on Friday.

Ollie

In: 07:25
Out: 07:50

1 comment: