Established 2010

Established 2010

Saturday 7 May 2011

The Three Muskateers swim again

The alarm goes off at 5:45am. It looks a bit grim outside having rained during the night. Shall I go back to bed or head down to the beach? It is Saturday after all. I know that Joan and Sara will be there. Ollie? 50-50. I do the right thing and head on down. I am late as usual. The air temp is much better, although I am doubtful it has found its way into the sea. A little bit wndy, tide going out. I did have visions of swimming to Rottingdean today, but I was quickly out-voted. Seems that a full circuit of the buoys was the first record of the year to be accomplished. Heading into the wet stuff was the usual ordeal, as the cold waves splashed against exposed skin. Even Joan thought it was cold - which worried me a bit, although later claimed she was just demonstrating the Ollie method of getting into the water.... After a little faffing around on my part, Sara and I headed out to complete a clockwise circuit. The first half was easy enough, the second half required us to swim headlong into the current and east wind, plus plenty of surface chop. The real test was swimming in a straight line and remains the biggest area for improvement, certainly for me. We completed our circuit in around 17 minutes although opted to take it at a leisurely pace. Not a record, but a good start to the season. Upon completion, we linked up with Joan and headed back in for some hot tea and hot waterbottles, hearty discussion and fearsome debate. Meanwhile, we all did speculate on a mouth-watering 2011 Hildi Mitchell v Paul Winter re-match. There is plenty to decide.

Swimmers: Joan, Sara and Paul
Time In: 7:17
Time Out: 7:40
Air Temp: 19C
Sea Temp: 12ishC

No comments:

Post a Comment