Established 2010

Established 2010

Friday 3 June 2011

How would you describe Domino, Paul?

Yes indeed, I once again step into the elephant trap that Sara baits and lays before me. You would think I might have learnt my lesson by now, but alas no....

Anyway, I arrive to discover Joan and Sara already on the beach. Shortly afterwards new recruit Annika appears. We had hoped for super-Ruth and iron-Hildi also, but unfortunately each could not make it. And Ollie too had been called away. So just the four of us and not a wetsuit to be seen. Which suprised me as the north east wind had returned with a vengence. This made for a nice flat sea, so the going was likely to be good. Tide was out and about to come back in. The three girls began chatting about - stuff - so averting my ears I began warming up by running across the beach, and back, and back, and back again. Still no sign of them heading into the water. So, in I went all alone - somewhat gingerly I might add, because Joan advised me earlier that she had spotted basking sharks between the buoys earlier in the week. Great! Eventually the other three followed me in, but only after they had let me thoroughly test the conditions...... Fortunately no shark, just a few a crabs and half a dozen starfish. Water a little chilly as usual, maybe a degree colder than what we have been used to. Joan and Sara amused themselves in-shore, Sara understandly having to conserve energy for her River Arun swim on Saturday (best of luck!). Annika followed me out to the second buoy, although as we were still both able to stand on the bottom at this point, this was not as impressive as it might have been at high tide. I did contemplate heading out to the third buoy, but the incident with the nets remains fresh in my mind. So instead, a leisurely dash across the back strait, after which Annika heads in and I swim back, completing 4 lengths in total. Some real surface chop, which is to be expected, but otherwise fine. Sighting is improving as well.

The other three are back on the beach and preparing breakfast, fortunately I wasn't too late to join them. Now, nurse Joan who is ordinarily in charge of the thermometer asked me to guess what the sea temp was. As Fiona (from the Brighton group) measured it as being 13.4C on Wednesday night, I didn't believe it to be too big a leap of inductive logic to guess that it would be around about this level, after all, it is technically the same sea. So, I proudly guess 13.5C, believing my guess to be the closest and likely to win me extra breakfast rations. Oh no! The real answer was 16C. What? I immediately dispute the result, believing that the thermometer may have ended up on Sara's hot water bottle, or some such other warm location, so a recount must be in order. Well, the dispute raged, and clearly honour was not going to be restored, nor was the stewards enquiry going to be conclusive. 16C? We agreed to differ.

A delicious breakfast followed by Annika asking how she could lend SSF support at the Arun swim tomorrow. Sara suggested she team up with her other half Domino, who was also planning to spectate. Of course, never having met Domino before Annika was uncertain how she might recognise him. There then followed a flurry of visual descriptions ranging from Lenny from Motorcross to a "real lived in face" to George Clooney's older brother. But Annika remained none the wiser. "So how would you describe Domino?", Sara asks, turning to me? Like I fool, I take the bait. "Oh a bit like the Wolverine character from the X-men", I offer helpfully, believing young Annika might actually have seen those films. "Would you say that to his face?", Sara asks incredulously. Now, let me clarify what I meant. I meant he looks a lot like dashing Hollywood A-lister Hugh Jackman, except Hugh isn't quite as handsome. I mean Domino is rump steak compared to the hamburger that is Lenny. My one consolation is that once in the water, I will be quite safe. And if not safe, then at least I should be able to swim faster.

We all left the beach, except Annika who decided to hang around to top up her tan.

Time In: 7:13AM
Time Out: 7:43AM
Swimmers: Annika, Sara, Joan and Paul C
Air Temp: 17C
Sea Temp: 13-16C

PS. Ollie, we noticed another swimmer on the beach who chose not to seek permission from ourselves to take a dip. Can you sort it? I thought everyone knew they had to report to an official of the club before heading out.  :)

1 comment:

  1. A most excellent report, Paul! Very sorry to have missed it, especially as on Thursday I ditched the wetsuit for a swim in the foreign waters of Hove. Will be back Wednesday to hear all about the Arun swim.

    Iron Hildi

    ReplyDelete