Established 2010

Established 2010

Wednesday 16 February 2011

It's a dirty job ...

A bright sunny morning with moderate wind speed, exhilirating wind-chill factor and a very restless sea. The three of us head down to the beach, mindful that perhaps today may not see us actually do any swimming, as those waves do look incredibly fierce. It is an easy decision to make, but body surfin' will be just as fun. Just then, we are greeted by the now traditional fly-by of comerants in V formation. The scene is set.

The tide is coming in, although not expected to reach its zenith until 9:30am according to Sara, who has an encyclopedic knowledge about these things. I go wading in, determined to show some steel in front of the ladies. I am promptly thrown back onto the shingle by the first wave I encounter. Undeterred, in I go again. I repeat this spectacle several times before Sara advises me "not to go in". Not much chance of getting past these waves, but I foolishly decide to try one last time.

It is at this point that the mother of all waves, certainly as tall as me, gathers up pace, pauses for a second as it rears up in size, then smashes down on top of me. I am thrown face first into the shingle, spun around several times before finally surfacing again, just in front of Joan, who looks visibly unimpressed. It is then I notice that this wave has deprived me of my goggles. Wow! That's some power. Obviously no hope of retrieving them. But we continue rolling around and surfing like children, thrown this way and that, up-down-side-to-side, laughing and joking. It is fun !!

Eventually we all decide to call it a morning and head back up the beach to get changed. As usual Sara reprises her role minus wetsuit. But Joan is looking for a volunteer to take sea temperature readings. Its a dirty job but Sara gamely obliges. Within seconds of getting into the sea this instrument is torn from her grasp by the angry waves. It is a stark reminder just how powerful the sea can be. The lost items can easily be replaced. Us human cannot.

See you Friday.

In: 7:24  Out: 7:49
Swimmers: Joan, Sara and Paul C
Air Temp: 7C
Sea Temp: Not recorded

Joan warming up in her dressing gown

Calm blue sea

Now you see it ...

Joan: Now don't lose it Sara, that thermometer was given to me by my great Uncle Bulgaria
Sara: (Yawn) Whatever.

Hi Sara, can you have a look for my goggles whilst you're out there? Thanks.

On your marks ... get set ... scarper !

I can feel something wibbly wobbly down here

Oh bugger, I've lost the thermometer

 Maybe if I pretend I've got a fiddler crab stuck in my swimsuit Joan will go easy on me
 
Pah! I send a girl to do a woman's job! I'm calling the coastguard.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment